International humanitarian law: what does Switzerland do?
How does Switzerland implement international humanitarian law? The Swiss Red Cross and the Directorate of International Law of the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs invite you to an online panel debate on Switzerland's engagement in IHL on 18 November 2020.
Armed conflicts are widespread throughout the world. In some cases international humanitarian law is violated. The humanitarian consequences are disastrous: protected persons are killed or wounded, civilian infrastructures are destroyed, populations are massively displaced and access to basic services, such as medical care, is hindered. To limit the effects of war and protect civilians, respect of international humanitarian law must be strengthened.
What does Switzerland do? The Swiss Federal Council recently adopted its first voluntary report describing how our country implements international humanitarian law. In order to initiate a dialogue about Switzerland's engagement, the Swiss Red Cross and the Directorate of International Law of the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs are pleased to invite you to a panel debate on 18 November, from 18h00 to 19h30, online. The event will lead to an exchange of views between representatives of the government, parliament, academic circles, non-governmental organizations, media and citizens. It will thus contribute to reinforcing the link between foreign and domestic policy.
Welcome address: Markus Mader, Director of the Swiss Red Cross
Keynote speech: Ambassador Corinne Cicéron Bühler, Director of the Directorate of International Law, Federal Department of Foreign Affairs
Debate followed by questions from the public:
- Carl Marchand, Head of the Law of Armed Conflict Section, Federal Department of Defence, Civil protection and Sport
- Elisabeth Schneider-Schneiter, Federal Councillor, Member of the Foreign Affairs Committee, Swiss Parliament
- Priska Seiler Graf, Federal Councillor, Member of the Security Policy Committee, Swiss Parliament
- Dominik Stillhart, Director of Operations, International Committee of the Red Cross
Moderation: Karin Frei, Journalist
The panel debate will take place in German with a simultaneous interpretation in English.
The panel debate will be streamed live online on Microsoft Teams. To attend this event, please click on the link below in the language of your choice (no registration is required).
- Link to participate to the panel debate in German: SRK-EDA Podiumsdiskussion - Humanitäres Völkerrecht: was tut die Schweiz?
- Link to participate to the panel debate with a simultaneous interpretation in English: SRC-FDFA panel debate - International Humanitarian Law: what does Switzerland do?
For more information about how to attend a Microsoft Teams live event, click here.
Questions from the audience:
Do you have any questions you would like to ask the panellists? Please send them by email to email@example.com or ask them during the panel debate by using the Q&A function of the streaming platform.
For more information about how to participate in the Q&A of a Microsoft Teams live event, click here.
Event DateWednesday, 18. November 2020
18h00 - 19h30